Biology is all about the living things that are found on planet Earth. There are major themes that connect the ideas that we will explore in this course.
- The hierarchy of organization of living things (from atoms to whole organisms to ecosystems) results in new properties that emerge from the interactions of the parts.
- Cells are the structural and functional units of life.
- The structures of living things are correlated to their functions at all levels of
- Organisms are open systems that interact with their environments, sharing nutrients and energy.
- The continuity of life depends on the heritable Information stored in DNA.
- The living world is characterized by great diversity, but there is also much unity among living things.
- Evolutionary theory offers an explanation for the great diversity of life on Earth.
- Life's chemistry must be regulated to maintain homeostasis.
- Studying biology involves observation, testing hypotheses as well as collecting and analyzing data.